Saturday, September 11, 2010

I'm meant to be preparing for a debate on copyright (as well as a few other assessments) this week, but last week Australia's vilification laws were debated in class. The part that stayed with me was the point about how racist comments on the internet, as long as they're intended to be humourous, and not racist, they're apparently okay to most people. I don't know if I agree or the answers as to how it should correctly be interpreted, but Racialicious, in its links round up today linked this: Taking Hate Speech Seriously When Racism is a Joke A thought provoking article dealing with internet humour and racism. It doesn't have all the answers, but nobody does. It does, however, succinctly encompass my thoughts on the subject, but a lot more intelligently, and well, way beyond my current abilities.

Well worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment