Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Thing-a-week #2

I made this cake for my birthday on Sunday. I haven't actually consciously kept up with Thing-A-Week, which should now probably be known as Thing-Whenever... but apparently cooking/baking counts, so if only I had a picture of my Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Streusel (recipe here! Delicious, by the way.) I'd be on track... but anyway, here's my Chocolate Beetroot Cake with Raspberry Mousse Filling (raspberry mousse recipe here) and Chocolate Ganache.



Sadly, as you can see it had an accident. Sometimes I get lazy/cheap/cocky and do stupid things like not use waxed or baking paper or cut said paper into strips (see here: Frosting a layer cake, to see what I'm raving on about) when frosting a cake. This leads to spectacular disasters that ruin a near-perfect cake :( ie. the bottom layer of the quite large, heavy layer cake ends up splitting in half when the two large pieces of unwaxed paper are being removed...

Proud of myself though. Instead of letting emotion (frustration, sadness, anger) overcome me (it was getting quite late into the night) I took deep breaths and tried to salvage it the best I could.

Note to self: Don't be that stupid/lazy/cheap/cocky again. It's not every day you get to decorate a cake so don't be so frugal.

Additional note to self: Stick with the chocolate mousse filling next time. Or try a coffee/mocha mousse filling. It is not worth 1.5 hours of sieving the seeds out of the raspberries as the mousse isn't as complementary as anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment